Can I apply to a GC doctoral program and a GC master’s program?

  • Yes.

Can I apply to more than one GC doctoral program?

  • You may only apply to one doctoral program at a time in a single admissions cycle. If you have received a decision for a doctoral program and wish to be considered for another program that is still accepting applications, you may do so.

Can I apply to more than one GC master’s program?

  • Yes.

How can I pay the admissions application fee?

  • After you have completed the online application form, you will be asked to submit the form for review. A payment page will then appear asking you to select your payment method. You may pay online with a credit card or by sending in a check by mail.

Can I request to have the application fee waived?

  • The application fee is only waived for United States Armed Services Veterans and McNair Scholars.
  • To apply for these fee waivers, please select the “pay by mail/check” option when you submit your application. Then you need to notify the Office of Admissions via email that your application is complete, and that you are requesting a fee waiver (do not actually send a check). Please specify in the email if you are a veteran (attach documentation to the email) or a McNair Scholar (attach documentation).

If my transcripts are issued in a language other than English what should I do?

  • Applicants who attended institutions that issue transcripts only in a non-English language format need to upload a file that contains an English translation from an certified translation service.  The scanned file also needs to contain the original document that the translation represents as well as the certified translation.

What is an applicant statement?

  • A successful applicant statement usually does the following:
    • Articulates a particular topic area in which you propose to do research.
    • Positions your proposed project within an ongoing scholarly conversation (i.e. that you want to connect your work to existing work in the field, but build on it and add something new).
    • Argues for your project as urgent within the field and within academic studies.
    • Connects your scholarly passions to your personal motivations for taking on the work (this can take many forms).
    • Shows an awareness of your field, but can also be understood by people outside your field.
    • Shows how your academic background has prepared you to do this work.
    • Speaks to why you want to study in the GC’s doctoral program specifically–not just in terms of the resources of the GC, but also how you hope to contribute to this intellectual and pedagogical community.
    • Recounts your educational background that has led to the PhD program or describes a professional position that has inspired further academic study.
    • Includes an appropriate amount of citational references (literary or rhetorical) that demonstrates your knowledge-base, interest, and investment in further research.
    • Explains a research agenda and how this program suits that academic goal or indicates how PhD coursework will help focus some already existing (yet still evolving) interests.
    • Offers a rationale of how a PhD program will enrich and fulfill your intellectual goals.

What is the reapplication process if I have applied for admissions in the past?

  • First you need to submit a new application form and application fee for the current admissions cycle. You will need to upload unofficial scans of your supporting documents to allow the program to review your application in a timely basis. And you are required to submit a new applicant statement.
  • If you applied to the Graduate Center within the last two years, and are admitted to the program we may be able to retrieve the official copies that were sent in with your prior application. Those documents previously sent, however, cannot be used for the review process.

What transcripts do I need to list and upload for review?

  • Transcripts must be submitted from each college or university attended even if you did not complete a degree or did not enroll in courses in your current field. This includes:
    • All credit bearing coursework even if that did not lead to a degree on a transcript from the issuing institution where the courses were originally taken.
    • All credit bearing coursework even if that was for a degree program unrelated to the discipline now being pursued.
    • All credit bearing coursework that may be in progress.  Transcripts that only list courses in progress for the current semester must still be uploaded for review, even if they do not yet contain grades for the current or most recent semester.
    • All coursework that was transferred to another institution must be also submitted on a transcript from the original issuing institution.
      • This includes community college coursework that was transferred to a 4-year degree program. The community college transcript must also be uploaded to the online application.
  • This does not include:
    • Credits from study abroad coursework or credits taken as part of AP or other high school college level coursework.
    • Coursework that was non-credit bearing or taken at non-academic institutions such as religious, career, or non-academic technical colleges.

How do I upload an unofficial transcript if my institution does not provide unofficial copies?

  • If your institution does not provide an unofficial or online student copy of the transcript, then you need to request an official one to be sent to you.  That copy should be opened, scanned and uploaded into the online application form. You may want to request two copies from the issuing institution and keep one unopened, so that if you are admitted you will have an official copy available to forward to the Office of Admission prior to registration. Only admitted applicants are required to send an official transcript.

How do I upload pdf files that are more than 4MB?

  • To ensure that your file is smaller than the maximum size, you may have to scan your file at the lowest DPI that produces a legible image. In most cases, you will be able to use a DPI under 200.
  • Do not scan in color. Use grey scale if possible; otherwise, use black and white.
  • If the file already exists as a download from your institution, please take a look at this Adobe page with instructions that can assist you in reducing the size of an existing pdf file. http://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/reducing-file-size
  • For all Journalism writing samples, if the size absolutely cannot be reduced to less than 4MB, then upload one document with a url/link to a hosted file.

Who should be my recommenders if I’ve been out of school for many years?

  • If it has been more than five years since you were last enrolled in college or graduate school, you may choose to request a letter in addition to your two required academic evaluations. This letter should be from professional acquaintance who can vouch for your ability to pursue graduate study. Professional references may be substituted for academic references only if you are applying to the Doctoral Program in Social Welfare.

Can I send recommendations from Interfolio?

  • No. We do not accept recommendations that are not uploaded into our online application system. Please select recommenders who can upload recommendations into our online system in order to ensure a timely review of your application.

How can I remind recommenders to submit their recommendation letters?

  • After you have submitted your online application, you can remind your recommenders to submit their online recommendation by logging back into the online application system.  At the dashboard (the first screen you will see upon logging back in) click on the blue button on the upper right hand side that says “View Application.” Then on the left hand navigation bar, you will see a link to “Recommendations” under the “Important Links” header.  That will bring you to a button that says “Recommendation Provider List” where you can resend the request to previously listed recommenders.
  • The system does not allow you to add additional recommenders or to correct/modify and email address of a recommender. Those requests should be made by email to admissions@gc.cuny.edu with the understanding that you may have a significant delay in the processing of your application due to an issue with the recommender emails that you have listed prior to submitting your application.

Do I need to take the GRE if I already have a master’s degree?

  • If you are applying for a doctoral degree (with the exception of the Social Welfare PhD), you will need to take the GRE General exam regardless of whether or not you have already obtained a master’s degree.  Certain programs require or recommend the GRE Subject test in addition to the General test.  Please refer to the application requirements for details for the program you are applying to.

If I took the GRE more than five years ago, will you accept it?

  • No. GRE General and Subject exam scores are valid for five years. You will need to take the test again if your scores are older than five years.

Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS exam?

  • An applicant must submit scores from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) unless they have a post-secondary degree from an institution in which the language of instruction is English-only and located in a country that recognizes English as an Official Language. Please note: applicant’s who have only studied in Puerto Rico or India must complete the TOEFL or IELTS.
  • The TOEFL test is administered internationally by Educational Testing Service and you need to request that ETS report examination results directly to College Code 2113.
  • The IELTS test is administered by Cambridge English Language Assessment.

What is the minimum GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/IELTS score?

  • There are no minimum scores that guarantee admission. Each program takes into consideration all the elements of an application.

What is the Graduate Center’s institutional code for the GRE/TOEFL/GMAT?

  • The institutional code for the GRE and the TOEFL is 2113.
  • The institutional code for the GMAT is XWT-S7-47.

If my intended program requests a writing sample, how do I submit it?

  • Please submit writing samples by uploading them into the online application system. Please be sure to include your full name and date of birth on the writing sample.

Can any of my supporting documents arrive after the application deadline?

  • All supporting documents need to have been uploaded to the online application system by the program’s deadline.

How can I apply for scholarship and fellowship opportunities?

  • All doctoral applicants are automatically considered for all school based funding (including scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships) when you submit your completed application.

What are tuition and fee costs?

What is the transfer of credit process?

  • On average, programs do not accept more than 15 transfer credits. However, each case is reviewed individually and transfer credits will only be evaluated if you are admitted to a program and after you have begun the registration process.

When is my application due?

On the online application, the LookUp screen I can’t locate an institution. Help?

  • For institutions within the United States, the most effective method of locating institutions using this screen is to type in only the CITY field. If you cannot locate the institution by CITY, then type in only the NAME field. If that does not result in locating the institution, please type in “Undelcared” in the NAME field and select “Undeclared Domestic” as the institution.
  • For institutions outside of the United States, please search first by selecting only CITY. If that does not result in locating the institution, search only by NATION field. If that does not result in locating the institution, please select “Nation: Foreign Inst” for that country. (For example, if you are searching for a Canadian institution that does not appear on the list for Canada, select “Canada: Foreign Inst.”)
Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message
Skip to toolbar